Today for lunch traditional polish mushrooms soup. The weather is not getting any better yet, so why not make yourself a little warmer with another bowl of tasty soup. Last time we had a chicken corn soup, today I want to share with you mushrooms soup. Mushrooms soup is very well known In Poland. Typically, it is made out of mushrooms that people pick up themselves in the forest. Picking up mushrooms is a family activity. It is one of my dad’s biggest hobbies. He can spend hours walking around the forest and looking for different mushrooms. My dad had even an article written about his mushroom picking adventure in a local Polish newspaper 😉 http://www.lowiczanin.info/regiony/okolice-lowicza/wydarzenie/-80-prawdziwkow-znalazl-grzybiarz/
Be AWARE though, if you don’t know anything about mushrooms, I don’t recommend looking for them yourself. It can be dangerous. My dad comes from the family that LOVES mushrooms and he knows a lot about different kinds of mushrooms and which once are edible or not.
So what do we do with all those mushrooms found? Well, there are many recipes available. One of them is mushrooms soup.
This soup is really EASY to make.
- 1 pint package of mushrooms (2 cups)
- 1 small onion
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. of sour cream
- 2 tbsp. of chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. of black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of cooked macaroni of choice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
To make it:
- Clean the mushrooms with the paper towel and slice them
- Finely chop the onion
- Heat up 1 tbsp. of olive oil in the pan and brown the onion with mushrooms. Don’t add any salt to the mushrooms. If you do, they will release a lot of water and won’t brown
- Once the mushrooms and onions are browned (approx. 5 minutes) sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside
- Warm up the chicken stock in the pan and add the mushrooms with onions.
- Add chopped parsley
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add sour cream to the bowl and add 1/2 cup of the hot soup to the sour cream. Stir well. Add another 1/2 cup and stir again.
- Return everything to the pot with the soup
- Cook for another 2 minutes and turn the heat off
- The soup is done. I like to eat it with macaroni. But you can eat it with garlic bread or anything you like
ENJOY!!!! Thanks for reading!!!