Today I’m sharing another one of my childhood favorite desserts. We call it in polish CHATKA BABY JAGI [ hatca bubi yugi] , which would translate as Witch Yaga’s Hut 😉 I have no idea who came up with this name 🙂 However, if you look at it, you will not be surprised that the name stuck with this cake. Maybe it doesn’t sound too appetizing but it tastes delicious. I think the person who came up with this recipe, really liked the story of “Hansel and Gretel“. This is a fairy tail that I remember my mom used to read to me as a bad time story when I was a little girl. The fairy tail was written by Grimm Brothers and originated in Germany.
In case you’re not familiar with it 😉 , It is a story about a brother and sister who are left in the woods by their evil step mother. The kids wander around the forest unable to find the way back home when they see a house made out of chocolate and candy. Hungry kids start eating it and all of a sudden the old witch comes out of the house and catches them. She takes them inside the house and lets them eat as much candy as they want so they become really fat and then she can EAT them. As any other fairy tail this one has happy ending as well. The kids are able to escape and find their father. They all live happily ever after 🙂
It is a really interesting fairy tail. I will make sure to read it to my daughter when she gets a little older 🙂
In the meantime I made the dessert that was inspired by that story 🙂
This is a very easy dessert to make. It takes few minutes to prepare but it does have to chill in the fridge for couple of hours. Minimum of 4 h should be fine but preferably overnight. This dessert reminds me of my childhood. I used to make it with my mom as a small girl. It’s a fun dessert for kids because you can tell them the story of Hansel and Gretel while you make it 🙂 The kids can also decorate it from outside if they want to.
I haven’t made it for years but recently I was craving it and I decided to prepare it. My proportions were a little off since I haven’t made it in a long time. I did make couple of mistakes but the recipe I will give you is the adjusted one. If you don’t make the same mistakes I did, it will come out PERFECT.
First of all, make sure that your butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. I did not wait long enough for my butter to get to the room temperature and as a result it didn’t mix well with the cream cheese. When you look at the pictures, you can see that my cocoa filling has small bits of butter. It still tastes good but it doesn’t look as pretty as it should.
Second, I used too many tea biscuits, and as a result there was not enough cream to fill the inside of the cake. I fixed it by adding some heavy cream inside. I quickly whipped heavy cream with few tbsp. of confectioner sugar and filled the inside. I’ve noticed that some people put candy or even fruits inside. Chocolate truffle candy or any other would work. That’s why you see on my picture the white circle inside the cake 😉 I used 7 rows of cookies. (7 X 3). With this recipe, 5 rows would be enough.
- 2 boxes of cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 1/2 cup cool whip
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 boxes tea biscuits
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
For the chocolate covering
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. of butter
- 2 tbsp. of heavy cream or milk
How to make it:
- Mix together the butter and cream cheese using hand mixer or food processor. Add the cool whip and powdered sugar and mix until incorporated.
- Divide the cream in half and add cocoa powder to one half.
- Lay out 5 x 3 row of the tea biscuits on the aluminium foil (see pictures below)
- Spread half the mixture over the biscuits. The mixture is pretty thick so spreading the first layers will require a little patience. Just make sure to put small amount of cream all over the biscuits and then slowly and gently spread it making sure the biscuits stay aligned. I started with the white cream first but you can do the chocolate one. It doesn’t matter
- Lay the second layer of biscuits and the cream
- Close the house by pulling the aluminium foil up and making it into a shape of a triangle
- Leave it in the fridge for an hour before you cover the house with chocolate
- After an hour, prepare the chocolate covering by melting chocolate chips with butter. You can do it in the microwave or on the stove top using a double broiler. Add a little milk or heavy cream to help the mixture come together and make it not too thick so it’s easier to cover the cake
- Let the chocolate cool for few minutes and then spread it over the cake
- You can decorate it using coconut flakes or sprinkles or leave it as it is like I did