Today I’m sharing a popular Indian dessert called KHEER, known as Indian Rice Pudding. It is a creamy, sweet, milky dessert with aromatic Indian spices and crunchy nuts.
I will be honest, I am not crazy about Indian desserts. I hope no one will get offended 😦 I love Indian kitchen but the desserts are a little on the sweeter side for me. However, there are couple of desserts that I REALLY enjoy and KHEER is one of them.
Great thing about kheer is that you can customize it. You can add anything you like to it. You can add raisins, dates, figs any kind of nuts you like. Or you can eat it as a plain rice pudding. It tastes great either way. You can also control how sweet you want it by adding more or less sugar. I love sweet desserts but not TOO sweet. Everything in moderation 🙂
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1/4 cup of rice
- 3-4 cups of milk
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2-3 saffron strands
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp. of chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp. of raisins
- 2 tbsp. of chopped walnuts
- Soak the rice in water for at least 20 minutes
- Drain the water and add milk
- Bring the milk and rice to a boil.
- Lower the heat and add cardamom, cinnamon and saffron
- Cook on the medium low heat for at least 1 hour stirring from time to time so the rice doesn’t burn. (You can cook it longer. In fact the longer the better. If you see that the kheer is becoming thick keep adding some more milk. The longer you cook it the creamier it will get)
- Add the nuts, raisins and sugar and cook for additional 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve warm or called
- You can sprinkle some cinnamon powder and nuts on top
Kheer is an easy dessert to make. It does require a little time and patience though. The longer you cook it the creamier and more of a pudding consistency it will get.
Thanks for reading and please take a moment to share your thoughts 🙂
Wersja polska kliknij na link / in polish click the link: